Smart & Sassy
Our theme for August is all about back to school. Being your best self at school, being smart black girl and capable of success. Books and items contained in this box are geared to encourage girls to enjoy and motivate them to do their best at school.
What’s in the August Box
- Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson (ButterflyTween Book)
A timely and powerful story about a teen girl from a poor neighborhood striving for success, from acclaimed author Renée Watson.
Jade believes she must get out of her neighborhood if she’s ever going to succeed. Her mother says she has to take every opportunity. She has. She accepted a scholarship to a mostly-white private school and even Saturday morning test prep opportunities. But some opportunities feel more demeaning than helpful. Like an invitation to join Women to Women, a mentorship program for “at-risk” girls. Except really, it’s for black girls. From “bad” neighborhoods.
But Jade doesn’t need support. And just because her mentor is black doesn’t mean she understands Jade. And maybe there are some things Jade could show these successful women about the real world and finding ways to make a real difference.
Friendships, race, privilege, identity—this compelling and thoughtful story explores the issues young women face.
- President of the Whole Fifth Grade by Sherri Winston (ButterflyTeen Book)
When Brianna Justice’s hero, the famous celebrity chef Miss Delicious, speaks at her school and traces her own success back to being president of her fifth grade class, Brianna determines she must do the same. She just knows that becoming president of her class is the first step toward her own cupcake-baking empire!
But when new student Jasmine Moon announces she is also running for president, Brianna learns that she may have more competition than she expected. Will Brianna be able to stick to her plan of working with her friends to win the election fairly? Or will she jump at the opportunity to steal votes from Jasmine by revealing an embarrassing secret?
This hilarious, heartfelt novel will appeal to any reader with big dreams, and the determination to achieve them
- Specially designed Smart and Sassy button pin – custom designed button pin you can use to make your bags, shirt or purse extra sassy!
- Gel Pen Set- cute gel pen set perfect for doodles.
- Colourful Highlighters- Great for watercolor painting, card making, scrapbooking, also a good tool to mark important words to your textbooks.
- Cute nerdy eyeglasses (Butterfly Tweens)- the perfect accessory for smart little girls
- Kaleidoscope Binder Pencil Pouch (Butterfly Teens)- keep all your pretty pens and pencils together in an even prettier case. What’s even cooler is you can put it in your binder!
- Cute notebook sticker labels- use them to label school items such as books, notebooks, pencil cases, folders and more
- Daddy did you know Bookmark (Featured Black Business)- The birth of Daddy Did You Know began as Caden started to research and learn new things on his own. When he learned these new things he would excitedly run to his Dad to ask him if he knew the facts that he had just learn. Each time he always began his sentence with Daddy Did You Know?…. If Daddy didn’t know, Caden felt it was his responsibility to teach him. Caden creates Youtube tutorials, he also has signature bookmarks, financial flashcards as well as unique light bulb that can be purchased empty as a drink cup, filled with candy or with a light. Or with a light or cup. www.daddydidyouknow.bigcartel.com